element14 Pty Ltd (formerly Farnell), Asia Pacific’s leading electronic components distributor has introduced the Freescale semiconductor tower systems for embedded developers and design engineers in the region.
The Freescale semiconductor tower system is a modular development platform for 8, 16 and 32-bit microcontrollers and microprocessors that enables advanced development through rapid prototyping.
Interchangeable and reusable modules, along with open source design files make it easy for electronic design engineers to customise each design, providing them more time to focus on differentiated solutions.
Inherent modularity of the tower systems gives significant choice with additional controllers, processors and peripherals. The tower system can be expanded easily and cost effectively with the hardware available as complete kits as well as standalone individual modules.
Geoff Lees, Vice President of Freescale's Industrial & Multi-Market MCU business observes that the increasing complexity of industrial applications and expanding functionality of semiconductors are driving embedded developers toward solutions that require the integration of proven hardware and software platforms.
Freescale offers comprehensive solutions including development tools, debuggers, programmers and software, available through a strong alliance network. The strategic relationship with element14 will now enable their customers in Asia Pacific to access highly advanced solutions such as semiconductor tower systems along with high quality customer service.
According to William Chong, Regional Director of Supplier Marketing, element14, Asia Pacific, the Freescale tower system is an innovative modular development platform that saves electronic design engineers months of development time through rapid prototyping and reusable tools.
He adds that element14 will continue to offer their customers in the Asia Pacific with some of the most comprehensive range of advanced solutions from the world’s leading manufacturers quickly to enable even shorter design cycles.
Key features of Freescale semiconductor tower systems:
- Cutting-edge modular development platform featuring multiple modules
- Assists designers with entry-level to advanced microcontroller development
- Two types of hardware modules, MCU/MPU and peripheral plug into backplane ‘elevator’ boards
- MCU/MPU modules act as the main controller board, providing everything from 8-bit and DSC to 32-bit processing
- Peripheral modules include serial connectors, memory options and graphical LCDs among others
- MCU/MPU, peripheral modules and elevator boards combine to make a constantly evolving development system
- Use of open source hardware and software allows quick development with proven designs to create new modules
- Modular design saves time and money through rapid prototyping and tool re-use for any number of projects
- Universal tower module available for existing S08 and RS08 devices, allowing easy switch between different S08 and RS08 MCUs