Yokogawa Australia and its customer Energy Brix Australia Corporation have won the 2009 PACE Zenith Award in the Transport, Power and Infrastructure category. This is the third year in a row that a Yokogawa Australia project has won a Zenith Award.
This year’s award was for the project to modernise the control systems at the Energy Brix power station in Morwell, Victoria. Completed in 2008, the project was successful in:
- reducing station operating costs
- generating additional power for export
- improving plant operating flexibility
- providing modern conditions for plant operators
- reducing station operating and maintenance costs
- improving plant emissions.
This project was quite remarkable for the complexity and innovation of the engineering involved in installing 21st century control systems technology onto older plant. Not only has the project increased the reliability of the electricity supply, it has done so while simultaneously improving protection of the plant, reducing maintenance costs and optimising the use of raw fuels.