Fire protection specialist Wormald offers a comprehensive range of fire suppression systems for the quarry industry.
Wormald believes that quarry site managers must be fully aware of the fire hazards presented by quarry operating environments, which can create serious risk to people and property. The hazardous nature of quarrying materials, the heavy equipment and vehicles in use combined with the remoteness of many quarry sites demand extra vigilance from site operators to prevent fires as well as be in a state of preparedness.
Inadequate or improper fire protection systems can expose workers to extreme dangers, lead to potential loss of life and assets, and also result in extensive downtime and a possible environmental impact.
Wormald encourages quarry site managers to not only be aware but also aim to reduce these risks to an acceptable level while monitoring and reviewing them on an ongoing basis.
Wormald also recommends that consideration should be given not only to the levels of fire protection required, but to compliance, usability, logistics and the financial investment involved when planning and designing a fire protection solution.
Fire protection specialists need to consult with a variety of personnel including plant operators, engineers, technical staff and senior management while identifying the right fire protection solutions for a quarry operation to gain understanding of the needs and fire hazards of the site and help develop specialised fire protection solutions for different risk areas.
For example, heavy vehicles, plant and equipment are a common sight at quarry sites, loading and unloading goods and transporting materials. With these heavy vehicles having significant ignition/heat sources such as energised wiring and turbochargers, there is clear risk of fire during operation.
Wormald provides a formalised fire risk assessment process in accordance with Australian Standard, AS5062-2006: Fire Protection for Mobile and Transportable Equipment specifically for heavy quarry vehicles, mobile plant and equipment.
The assessment assists in identifying fire hazards and determining the level of fire risk so that the most appropriate system can be identified for a particular vehicle in its operating environment.
Key considerations when selecting fire protection solutions for quarry sites:
- Fire protection systems already in place
- Environmental impact of existing and new fire protection systems
- Impact of new fire protection systems on critical plant and equipment
- Possibility of interfacing the fire protection system with power plant control systems to control shutdowns or isolate relevant plants
- Ongoing servicing and maintenance requirements of new fire protection systems
- Potential for expansion or upgrade of the fire protection system
- Fire detection and occupant warning systems
- Fire sprinkler systems
- Water deluge systems
- Gaseous fire suppression systems
- Portable fire equipment including fire hose reels, fire blankets and portable fire extinguishers
- Emergency rescue and respiratory protection equipment including breathing apparatus (BA), thermal imaging cameras and gas detection products
- Foam systems including sub-surface injection systems, top-side foam chambers and remote controlled foam cannons
- Vehicle Fire Suppression Systems such as Wormald Foam Water Spray Vehicle Fire Suppression (VFS) System and Ansul A-101 Vehicle Powder System
In addition to the appropriate fire protection solutions, quarry sites also require workers at all levels within the quarrying operation to maintain high skill levels in their emergency response capabilities.
This can be achieved through comprehensive emergency response training that can reduce the number of serious fire incidents and injuries by both preventing fires in the first place and ensuring quick response in case they do occur.
Wormald designs, installs, maintains and upgrades fire protection systems for the quarrying industry in addition to providing consulting, technical support, engineering advice, training and evacuation plans.
As a Registered Training Organisation (RTO), Wormald offers a range of fire safety training programs including fire extinguisher training, confined space entry training, breathing apparatus (BA) training, lay flat hose training and first aid training.