Home > WorkSafe Victoria to issue Licence to Perform High Risk Work

WorkSafe Victoria to issue Licence to Perform High Risk Work

Supplier News

People who operate forklifts, cranes and a wide range of other high risk equipment as well as those working in a number of occupations under Certificates of competency or tickets need to switch to the new Licence to Perform High Risk Work.

All certificates of competency expire between 31 January 2008 and 30 June 2012, depending on when they were first issued. Certificates issued before July 1978 and 30 June 1990 expire during 2008.

The Licence to Perform High Risk Work is being introduced to align Victoria with national safety standards. It includes a photograph to reduce fraudulent activity and improve interstate recognition of current skills. They need to be renewed every five years.

“Registering online to make the change is quick and easy,” said WorkSafe Victoria’s executive director John Merritt.

“People with a current ‘ticket’ do not need to be re-tested, but they do need to declare that their skills are current.”

The new Licence to Perform High Risk Work replaces a number of old certificates of competency (tickets) and applies to 29 pieces of equipment and jobs.

Information about the program, including a timetable showing specific expiry dates can be found on WorkSafe Victoria ’s website.

Farmers and foresters using forklifts:

An exemption for farm workers and foresters under regulations which were replaced last year brings Victoria into line with other states.

A rebate scheme is being offered to farmers, farm workers and forestry workers who use industrial-type forklifts who need to obtain a licence before 1 July 2008.

The rebate is for forklift licences only. Tractors with a mast attachment do not require a licensed operator.

The rebate must be applied for by the primary producer/forestry operator before 30 June 2008.

There is a limit of three rebates per workplace for people who successfully obtain a forklift licence.

To be eligible for the rebate scheme farm or forestry forklifts operators are required to provide proof of their eligibility status according to Australian Taxation Office standards.

Information on how to apply for the rebate, eligibility criteria, approval process and how to claim a refund can be obtained from WorkSafe Victoria .

Transferring to the new licence is simple

Register online now

You must register in order for WorkSafe Victoria to send you a Licence to Perform High Risk Work Transfer Application Form.

Register at WorkSafe Victoria ’s website. You will need to provide your certificate number and date of issue. If you have more than one certificate, use the earliest issue date.

If you cannot provide your certificate number or issue date, contact WorkSafe Victoria's licensing branch.

Complete the application form

Three months before your existing certificate expires, WorkSafe Victoria will send you a Licence to Perform High Risk Work Transfer Application pack. You will then have three months to lodge the completed form before your certificate expires. Complete the form, but do not sign it. Your signature must be witnessed by an Australia Post officer at lodgement.

Lodge the application form

The application form must be lodged by you, in person, at an Australia Post outlet. You can find your nearest outlet on the Australia Post website. You must take your completed, original form, at least 100 points of ID, all your current Victorian issued Certificates, a recent passport size photo of yourself and the application fee of $45.

Australia Post will process your application on behalf of WorkSafe Victoria . You should receive your licence within four weeks - more complex applications may take longer.

Details of the application process are provided in your Transfer Application Form.

Newsletter sign-up

The latest products and news delivered to your inbox