Nominations for this year’s WorkSafe awards close on 11 May. According to WorkSafe Victoria, the awards recognised employers and workers that were going above and beyond in terms of workplace health and safety.
WorkSafe Victoria wants to recognise those that are doing a great job. WorkSafe Victoria wants to encourage good operators and those that are trying to do even better.
According to WorkSafe Victoria, health and safety costs nothing. It is about working together, involving everyone in the workplace, thinking about the known and potential problems and putting together plans to manage known and potential safety risks.
A new category Best Design for Workplace Safety acknowledges a design company for the innovative design of a building, structure or plant item that eliminates or significantly reduces a workplace risk.
The Best Design for Workplace Safety award recognised innovative design which contributes to the creation of safer workplaces.
Solutions sometimes seem obvious, but what WorkSafe Victoria expects this award to show is imaginative thinking and new ways of doing things.
Other WorkSafe Victoria award categories this year are:
- Health and Safety Representative of the Year
- Health and Safety Committee of the Year
- Best Health and Safety Initiative for a Small Business
- Best Strategies for Health and Safety Management
- Best Solution to Sprain and Strain injuries
- Best Solution to a Health and Safety Risk
- Outstanding Leadership and Contribution to Health and Safety
Entries are assessed against the following criteria:
- Transferability: What is the potential for wider application?
- Innovation: How does this advance safety?
- Risk control: How well does the control measure work?
- Risk profile: How is the level of overall risk affected?
- Commitment: What commitment to occupational health and safety is evident in the innovation/invention?
- Consultation: How were employees involved with the development of the innovation/invention
Entry details can be found on WorkSafe’s website. The WorkSafe Awards will be presented on 23 October during Work Safe Week.