Finalists for the 23rd Annual WorkSafe Victoria Awards have been announced following a record number of entries in the event’s history.
30 finalists across 11 categories representing safety, health and wellbeing, and return to work were chosen from a total of 176 submissions this year.
Winners from each category will be announced at the Awards night at the Crown Palladium Ballroom on Wednesday, 19 October, 2011.
Standout employees, return to work success stories and solutions to safety issues are just some of the categories that will be celebrated on the Awards night.
WorkSafe’s Executive Director of Health and Safety, Ian Forsyth said that interest in the refurbished Awards program had been phenomenal.
Mr Forsyth added that the entrants who did not reach the finalists stage would be recognised via the Awards website, which serves as a hub for workplace solutions and ideas.
23rd Annual WorkSafe Victoria Awards finalists:
Health and Safety
OHS Management System of the Year
This award recognises organisations that have demonstrated effective management of health and safety through the implementation of continual improvement strategies and processes.
- Energy Brix Australia Corporation, Morwell
- Grocon Constructors (Vic) Pty Ltd, Head office in Melbourne
This award recognises excellence in developing and implementing a solution to an identified workplace health and safety issue.
- Boral Cement for its hydraulically operated slide gate system, Waurn Ponds
- Water Resources Alliance for its safe solution to concrete channel lining, Werribee
- CJM Attachments P/L with Swan Hill Rural City Council for its K-9 KUBE, Swan Hill
- Dulux Group and Robotic Automation for its dry powder robotic make up and finished goods handling system, Dandenong South
- Thiess Degremont Nacap Pipeline JV for its internal working platform for pipeline welding, Melbourne
This award acknowledges the work by small businesses (less than 20 workers) to introduce significant improvements to workplace health and safety.
- Gecko Surfacing Solutions for its cricket pitch cover applicator and recovery/storage unit, Warragul
- Independent Ezy Access for its SCAFSAFE fall protection system, Campbellfield
This award acknowledges health and safety representatives (HSRs) who have made a significant contribution and demonstrable difference to occupational health and safety (OH&S) within their designated workgroups.
- Marg Howard – Nestle Uncle Tobys, Wahgunyah
- Paul Harman – Thiess, Wonthaggi
This award acknowledges the roles and functions of health and safety committees (HSCs) and recognises performance and achievements that demonstrate high level consultation and commitment to health and safety across the entire workplace.
- Meritor, Sunshine
- RMIT University, Melbourne
Commitment to Workplace Health and Wellbeing
This award recognises leadership in demonstrating a whole-of-organisation commitment to promoting health and wellbeing at work.
- KPMG for its A Healthy YOU – Workplace Wellness Program, Melbourne
- Gippsland Water for its Annual Health & Wellbeing Program, Traralgon
- The Montague Group for its Health and Wellbeing Program, Narre Warren
- Orbost Regional Health for its 'Orbost Regional Healthy’ Program, Orbost
- InsuranceLine for its ‘Healthy As’ Program – Melbourne
This award recognises, at an organisational level, an employer’s outstanding efforts to support the return to work of an injured worker(s) to safe and sustainable work in the last twelve months.
- PMP Print, Clayton
- Kings Transport, Notting Hill
This award recognises an approved occupational rehabilitation provider’s outstanding achievements in returning an injured worker(s) to safe and sustainable work in the last twelve months.
- The Recovre Group, Ballarat/Geelong region
- Nabenet, Hawthorn
This award recognises a treating health practitioner’s outstanding achievements in returning an injured worker(s) to safe and sustainable work in the last twelve months.
- Anjelo Ratnachandra - Beyond Pain, Ringwood
- Karen Fitt - Melbourne Hand Rehab, Heidelberg Heights
This award recognises an individual Return to Work Coordinator’s outstanding achievements in returning an injured worker(s) to safe and sustainable work.
- Joe O’Meara – Youth Justice Custodial Services, Malmsbury
- Jenny Arnold – Bendigo Health, Bendigo
- Mark Munro – Orbost Civil and Civic, Orbost
This award recognises a worker’s outstanding achievements in returning to work following a workplace injury.
- Kylie Bryant – Knox City Council, Wantirna South
- David Smooker – Orbost Civil and Civic, Orbost
- Aldo (Aldolfo) Crespin – PMP Print, Clayton