The 2010 Annual WorkSafe Victoria Awards is organised by WorkSafe Victoria to recognise the achievements of inventers across Victoria in workplace safety.
The most exciting and innovative of these inventions are competing in the 2010 Annual WorkSafe Victoria Awards, and the winners of the workplace safety awards will be announced at an awards dinner on October 28.
“These companies have identified safety issues in their day-to-day work and come up with new ways to get the job done without putting anyone at risk,” WorkSafe Victoria’s Trevor Martin said.
2010 WorkSafe Award finalists include:
- Wodonga patisserie Kooka Brotha's wanted to protect workers carrying heavy trays of pastries and cakes. They put their heads together and came up with a lightweight tray so food could be carried without risking back injuries
- FreshBins in Warrnambool has invented a robot, which collects domestic and commercial wheelie bins, sterilises them and returns them to their original position in 20 seconds. The invention protects workers from risks including exposure to chemicals as well as lifting and twisting injuries
- Workers at Coliban Water in Bendigo wanted to enter dry wells without relying on ladders or harnesses. They designed a secure workbox that can lower workers down 15-metre wells
- Staff at Glen Eira City Council in Moorabbin needed a way to check for obstructions while clearing stormwater drains. They came up with a device, which they can lower down the drains to check for gas pipes and other blockages
- Conduit coils can flick out of control during the unwinding process. The Melbourne Tenix team have designed a range of solutions to ensure workers are safe when using the coils, which can weigh up to 450kg each
- No Bolt Operations and BlueScope Distribution understand that loading and unloading trucks can be risky for workers. They have designed a portable guardrail system, which can be attached to truck trailers to protect workers during loading and unloading
Finalists of the 2010 WorkSafe Awards also include:
Health and Safety Representative of the Year
- Dave Jones - Ambulance Victoria (East Gippsland)
- Glen Barber - Loy Yang Power (Traralgon)
- Keni Navusolo – Woolstar Pty Ltd (Barnawartha North)
- Marten Kelders – Heidelberg Graphic Equipment Limited (Melbourne)
Best OHS Management System
- GHD Pty Ltd (Melbourne)
- Compass Group (Australia) Pty Ltd (North Melbourne)
22nd Annual WorkSafe Victoria Awards Dinner
When: Thursday 28 October, 7.30-11.00pm
Where: Peninsula, Shed 14, Central Pier, 161 Harbour Esplanade, Docklands