Peristaltic pumps from Watson-Marlow Bredel are being used by leading gas leakage repair system manufacturer, MW Polymers to achieve fast turnaround repairs while delivering its revolutionary two-part polymer Ecoseal system.
In addition to reducing the filling and handling time to half, Watson-Marlow peristaltic pumps have also improved delivery accuracy and helped simplify the dispensing process.
MW Polymers specialises in a repair service based on their Ecoseal innovation to the 12 million joints that connect gas distribution pipes beneath Britain's road network.
MW Polymers Managing Director Michael Wild explains that there is high pressure on contractors to minimise the size of road excavations required to undertake repairs.
The company has developed a 'keyhole' repair methodology that involves drilling a small hole down to the top of the main through which Ecoseal is introduced to provide a safe and permanent repair, saving huge amounts of money and time.
The challenge was in finding a reliable, fast, accurate and economic method of pumping Ecoseal through the hole.
Piston pumps failed in the process since they could not handle the high viscosity of Ecoseal.
Mr Wild says that they opted for a small capacity peristaltic pump since they wanted to avoid contamination of the pumping mechanism.
Unfortunately, the pump did not work for MW Polymers since it was not quick enough at filling the twin-barrel cartridges that dispensed Ecoseal. Additionally, the pump could only dispense one product at a time, resulting in double handling.
When the company contacted Watson-Marlow Bredel for a solution, they were recommended the Watson-Marlow 620Di/RE peristaltic pump with an enhanced capacity.
The Watson-Marlow 620Di/RE is a dedicated dispensing pump that uses a single channel tube element pumphead.
The applications engineer at Watson-Marlow also suggested the use of two pumps to reduce handling time.
Key features of the Watson-Marlow Bredel 620 Series dispensing pumps:
- Designed to deliver accurate, repeatable volumes with set dosing and interval times to suit the application
- Delivers up to 1080 litres/hour at up to 4 bar pressure through a chemical-resistant tube element
- Zero contamination risk since only the tube touches the fluid being pumped
- Ideal for pumping slurries as well as viscous, shear-sensitive and aggressive fluids
- Easy installation, simple operation and inexpensive maintenance requiring only a disposable and quickly replaced tube
- 620 LoadSure pumps use tube elements with industry standard cam and groove fittings
Peristaltic pump operation
Fluid is drawn into the pumphead and trapped between the rollers and the track.
As the next roller moves forward, the pocket of fluid is expelled and more fluid is drawn into the tube by the vacuum that is created.
The complete closure of the tube gives the pump its positive displacement action, preventing backflow and eliminating the need for check-valves when the pump is not running.
Key benefits derived by MW Polymers from the 620 Series pumps:
- Cuts filling time from 20 seconds to 10 seconds
- Ability to dispense two different materials with varying viscosity at the same time, cutting handling time in half
- Dispensing accuracy is better than 1%