Warsash Scientific introduces a new intelligent solution for the automated analysis of glass trace evidence.
rIQ or Refractive Index Quantification from CRAIC Technologies combines sophisticated image analysis software, advanced optical design and electronics to enable modern forensic laboratories to measure the refractive index of multiple glass fragments simultaneously, quickly and with high accuracy.
Employing the thermal immersion method as defined by the standard ASTM E1967-98 to measure the refractive index of microscopic glass fragments, the automated rIQ glass analysis system allows the user to analyse the refractive index of multiple glass fragments easily and simultaneously using sophisticated analytical techniques as well as statistical analysis methods.
The rIQ high precision forensic glass analysis system is available as a standalone package, as an add-on package to CRAIC Technologies’ microspectrophotometers or as an upgrade package for older units already in the field.
The standalone package consists of a phase contrast microscope, a high resolution digital camera, the optical interface, a thermal stage, the controlling electronics and the rIQ software.
The add-on package can be integrated with many CRAIC Technologies microspectrophotometer models to allow measurement of the colour, absorbance, fluorescence and refractive index of extremely small glass fragments.
Key features of rIQ high precision forensic glass analysis system:
- Automatic measurement of refractive index per ASTM and SWGMAT standards
- Sophisticated algorithms for high precision glass refractive index measurement
- Exceeds ASTM requirements for long term stability and reproducibility
- Up to 20 measurement probes
- Video recording of measurement procedure
- Transmission, fluorescence and colour spectra of glass fragments can be measured in the add-on package
- Simple system calibration with glass standard reference materials
- Monitors and stores long term system and environmental conditions
- Precision temperature control
- Automatic statistical analysis
- Intuitive user interface