FIFTY years ago this month, chemical dosing and control system specialist Wallace & Tiernan opened for business in Australia.
The Wallace & Tiernan name comes from Americans Charles Wallace and Martin Tiernan, who got together in 1909 to develop a means of introducing chlorine into water to make it safe for drinking.
First based in Gibbes Street, Chatswood the company expanded with branch offices in Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide. Agents were appointed in Western Australia, New Zealand and parts of Asia.
After 10 years of operation, premises were built to enable full local manufacturing of the Wallace & Tiernan chlorinator and feeder range. At the same time, products were imported from sister companies in the USA, UK and Germany.
Recently, the company was bought by USFilter. This broadened the product range with new industrial water treatment equipment, UV systems, odour control packages and analysers and instruments.
Now based at North Ryde in Sydney, Wallace & Tiernan has manufacturing facilities at Windsor.