Medical vacuum bacterial filter change procedure
Filter change out should be carried out following the HTM 02-01 procedure and change out instructions which are detailed below by Walker Filtration :
Preparing for the work :
- Two bio-hazard waste bags will be required.
- All staff should wear the following protective clothing when carrying out a filter change: Disposable mask; Disposable apron/overalls, which should be discarded after use in the outer bag for disposal; Disposable gloves made of strong latex or other non-allergenic material; Safety goggles.
- Disposable overshoes should be worn if required by the hospital.
- Before carrying out the work, advice should be sought from the user on any toxic or infectious materials that may have entered the system.
- The used filter is placed directly into a bio-hazard waste bag, which is then sealed.
- This bag is place with mask and overalls, inside a second bag, which is also sealed and labelled:
- "Clinical waste – to be incinerated”
- All staff, including contractors, should observe local safety procedures as set out in the hospital’s safety policy.
- The staff carrying out the filter change should notify the waste disposal department and/or MGPS Authorised Person, as appropriate, so that bags can be collected and disposed of in a bio-hazard waste bin.
Dos and Don’ts Warning:
- The vacuum system must be considered potentially contaminated and you must take the precautions listed below.
- If you observe any suspicious contaminant, such as mucus or blood, stop work immediately and report the situation to an Authorised Person.
- Biological contamination may appear crystalline or organic. Do not be deceived by appearance; treat all foreign material as possible hazard.
- Potentially contaminated material must not be blown through an open-ended pipeline.
- Do not commence any work on a vacuum system suspected of contamination without authorisation and guidance from an Authorised Person.
- Do not eat or smoke whilst working on vacuum systems or components.
- Do before putting on waterproof gloves, inspect your hands carefully for cuts or abrasions. Apply waterproof dressing as necessary to effectively cover all lesions.
- Do wear waterproof gloves provided and ensure they remain intact throughout all work stages.
- Do wear standard issue overalls and ensure that they remain fully buttoned. Do wear eye protection, the face mask and disposable plastic apron provided.
- Do wear all protective clothing throughout all work stages.
- Do take care not to cut yourself. If you happen to cut yourself, carry out the following procedure: If a glove is punctured, remove glove. Allow wound to bleed freely. The contaminated area should be washed gently under running water and not scrubbed. Inform an Authorised Person of the incident immediately. MV Filter Change Out Procedure / TP1002 / July 2009 / C.M. Watson Seek medical advice on the appropriate action, for example the need to administer hepatitis B vaccine Report the incident in accordance with local or company rules.
- Do dispose of all removed infected material and oil in accordance with the hospital procedures, for example sealed within a bag marked ‘contaminated’ and entrusted to the hospital authorities for safe disposal.
- Do not dispose of potentially contaminated material in ordinary rubbish bins.
- Do not place contaminated tools or equipment into your toolbox.
- Do immediately, on completion of work, remove any contaminated outer clothing and always wash your hands and, if necessary, contaminated tools in an approved disinfectant; then rinse under running water.
Michell’s MDM300 portable dew-point hygrometer from AMS Instrumentation and Calibration ensures safety in hospitals
21.05.2013 - Designed to take high-speed measurements of moisture in compressed air systems for surgical instruments and breathing air in spot checks, MDM300 por
KAESER air filters available from Air Powered Services
29.04.2013 - Air Powered Services presents an extensive range of air filters from KAESER to suit most compressed air needs. KAESER air filters fea
Contact Walker Filtration
3a Kia Court
Tel: 03 9480 0750
Fax: 03 9495 1044