Falls from height are usually a common workplace fatality. A number of workers every month suffer a serious injury following a slip, trip or fall. Work at height is referred to as a place that is ‘at height’ from where a person could be injured falling from it, even if it is at or below ground level.
Work at height regulations apply to all work at height where there is a risk of a fall liable to cause personal injury. These regulations place duties on employers, the self employed, and any person who controls the work of others to the extent they control the work.
Duty holders must:
- Avoid work at height where they can
- Use work equipment or other measures to prevent falls where they cannot avoid working at height
- Use work equipment or other measures to minimise the distance and consequences of a fall where they cannot eliminate the risk of a fall.
The work at height regulations require duty holders to ensure:
- all work at height is properly planned and organised
- all work at height takes account of weather conditions that could endanger health and safety
- those involved in work at height are trained and competent
- the place where work at height is done is safe
- equipment for work at height is appropriately inspected
- the risks from fragile surfaces are properly controlled
- the risks from falling objects are properly controlled.
Height Safety and Fall Prevention Training is an integral aspect in achieving a company’s risk management goals which ultimately enhance the business profile, increase morale and productivity, and keep downward pressure on insurance costs.
Height safety training is important as managers, employees, contractors and personnel will have the skills to deal effectively with height safety risks which can increase the risk of an incident.
Height Safety Training solutions need staff training and record keeping, height safety checklists and fall prevention training.
A company need to ensure all elements of height safety are dealt with and it is always an ongoing portfolio, with changes in personnel, job and task design. A company can choose a training programme with detailed reporting and compliance or group training with Vocam's height safety DVDs.
Vocam offer height safety training solutions that include:
- Height safety training DVDs
- Height safety training online
- Height safety learning management system (LMS)