Balmoral Technologies is a specialist provider of industrial automation systems and control products. Their product range includes HMI and touch panels, LED display signs, industrial computers, panel PCs as well as industrial embedded CPUs and modules.
Standard Uticor Toughpanel touch screens feature a dedicated processor as opposed to running on a computer platform. This offers a much faster response time for touch inputs, typically 0.75 seconds instead of slightly more than a second in a Windows CE environment.
A Windows device is inherently slower in response time because several processes run during start-up and operation.
A dedicated processor uses less memory, does not require a boot -up, requires only 2MB to trend data and is not subject to hardware tampering. Nor can it be infected with a virus from the Internet.
A Windows CE system has the advantage however, of running user selected software in applications such as Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, PDF and MPEG (video).
Complex automation systems with a built-in redundant design or non-critical machinery and process applications may have tolerance for the shortcomings of a Windows-based operating system.
Smaller and simpler applications or those that require robust/ critical operation or a fast operating speed may be best served by a dedicated processor.
Balmoral Technologies offers both platforms featuring the same programming software. Seamless migration is enabled between the two operating systems.
Dedicated Processor Touch Panels
- Motorola Coldfire 32-bit CPU operating at 40MHz
- Faster response time for touch inputs (typically 0.75 seconds)
- Fast and simple flash-based operating system, easily field upgradeable
- 512KB and 1MB battery back RAM
- 512KB, 1MB and 2MB Flash Memory
- Will accommodate innovative NetView and control card for Internet connectivity
The Windows CE Touch Panels
- Same protocols supported as standard touch panel
- Same programming software
- Same screen sizes are available from 5.7”
- AMD Alchemy 333 MHz 32-bit processor
- 32 MB Flash and 64 MB RAM built-in
- Compact Flash slot
- 10/100 base-T Ethernet port
- USB host port
- Network card for future expansion