The standard Uticor Toughpanel has a dedicated processor, as opposed to running on a computer platform. This offers a faster response time for touch inputs, typically 0.75 seconds instead of slightly more than a second in a Windows CE environment. A Windows device is slower in response time because it has a lot of overhead to cover during start-up and operation. On the other hand, a dedicated processor uses less memory, does not require a boot-up, requires only 2MB to trend data, and is not subject to hardware tampering. The dedicated processor is not infected with a virus from the Internet.
A Windows CE system has the advantage, however, of running user selected software in applications such as Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, PDF, and MPEG (Video). Many users desire to run a programme to show machine operation or key maintenance issues. Other users may want to embed the operating or maintenance manual as a PDF file. There are many unique applications and memories available to run them.
Complex automation systems with a built-in redundant design or non critical machinery or process applications may have tolerance for the shortcomings of a Windows based operating system. Smaller or simpler applications or those that require robust/critical operation or a fast operating speed may be gained by a dedicated processor. Balmoral Technologies offer both platforms. The programming software is the same for both. Users can choose which is right for their applications (uses same software).
The following are the features of the Dedicated Processor Touch Panel:
- Motorola Coldfire 32-bit CPU operating at 40MHz
- Fastest response time for touch inputs (typically 0.75 seconds)
- Fast and simple flash-based operating system, easily field upgradeable
- 512KB and 1MB battery back RAM
- 512KB, 1MB and 2MB Flash Memory
- Will accommodate innovative NetView and Control card for internet connectivity
The following are the features of the Window CE Touch Panel:
- Same protocals supported as standard touch panel
- Same programming software
- Same screen sizes are available from 5.7” and up
- AMD Alchemy 333 MHz 32 Bit Processor
- 32 MB Flash and 64 MB RAM built in
- Compact Flash slot
- 10/100 base-T Ethernet Port
- USB Host Port
- Network card for future expansion