Safety Isolation Valves (SIV), available from Upwey Valve & Engineering , are vital pieces of safety equipment within Hydro Power Systems. Sharing similar principals to an electric fuse, when the flow of water goes too high in the hydro power system, the Safety Isolation Valves closes off at a pre-determined safe slow rate. The Safety Isolation Valves arrests the flow of water rapidly and then shuts off slowly.
Safety Isolation Valves are essential to quickly stop increase of flow in order to prevent run away conditions, as well as stop the flow slowly to prevent hydraulic shock loads and slow down the water in the pipe upstream of the valve at a controlled rate. The Safety Isolation Valves can perform tasks including tripping, controlled closing, flushing and isolation.
Features of the Safety Isolation Valves:
- Offers low resistance to the flow when fully open.
- Contains no internal bypass passage or connections.
- Is factory pre-setted internally to a specified maximum closing flow rate.
- Designed to fail safely in the event of an individual component failure in the valve.
- Flush flow rate can be increased from 0 to 70%
- Cartridge construction allows the Safety Isolation Valve to be maintained inline by exchanging service exchange ‘cartridge’ units. All the wear parts can be changed in one operation.
- The body casting is made from cast steel to BS 3100 grade A2 and can be made with a wide range of flanges or hub connections. All internal working parts are made from corrosion resistant materials.