World-leading supplier of test, measurement and monitoring products, Tektronix has added a new comprehensive high-speed serial protocol test platform, allowing engineers to analyse, stimulate, stress and characterise high-speed serial links.
Supporting speeds up to 10Gb/s, the new TPI4000 Protocol Analyzer Series enables customers to use a single instrument to perform multiple test functions while supporting a variety of protocols such as Ethernet, Fibre Channel, Common Public Radio Interface (CPRI), and Serial Front Panel Data Port (FPDP).
The TPI4000 is ideal for applications such as defence electronics that add proprietary and confidential extensions to existing protocols.
With the broad acceptance of high-speed serial interfaces, engineers are looking to complement their Tektronix oscilloscopes with protocol analysers that can provide insight into the information that is being transferred across the physical layer.
Engineers working with these high-speed serial protocols need to perform a number of tests, including interoperability and compatibility testing as well as performance optimisation and stress testing. The TPI4000 Series protocol analysers can be configured to allow all these tasks to be performed on a single instrument.
Dave Farrell, Director, Digital Analysis Product Line, Tektronix describes the TPI4000 as the ideal protocol analysis tool for the realities of today’s world where every instrument needs to be broadly capable and flexible.
He adds that the protocol analysers save customers time and money because they don’t need to buy separate boxes for each test function or protocol or learn to use separate instruments.
The TPI4000 Series protocol analysers are available in two models:
- The portable TPI4202 features a built-in monitor and keyboard and supports up to 8 ports
- The TPI4208 is a 4U rack-mount unit that supports up to 32 ports
Key features of TPI4000 Series protocol analysers:
- Can be configured to be any combination of protocol analyser, traffic generator, system stress tester, or BER (bit error rate) tester on a single hardware platform
- Supports any combination of protocols simultaneously and can be reconfigured by the user to support different protocols
- Multiple protocol support allows user to troubleshoot system-level problems
- Ability to reconfigure the TPI4000 to support different protocols reduces total test cost
- User-editable database allows customers to define custom protocols using the optional Protocol Editor tool