After encouraging sales and feedback on the German market, T.E.A. Transmissions are adding to their range permanent magnetic couplings. The magnetic couplings consist of opposing discs that are equipped with very strong rare earth magnets. The torque through the drive disc is automatically transferred to the other disc via the air gap.
The magnetic couplings have no actual contact and are highly efficient while eliminating wear. This also offers a silent operation and reduced vibration, as well as allowing for misalignment and torque transfer through walls. This eliminates the need for seals removing the risk of contamination from one media to the next. In terms of misalignment an angular error of up to 3° and a parallel offset of up to 6mm can be achieved while retaining close to 100% of torque transmission.
The magnetic coupling’s double duty as a slip / safety clutch is an additional benefit. When torque limits are exceeded the magnets simply slip, protecting equipment and personnel, without wear on the coupling or heat generation. The slip torque can be fine-tuned by adjusting the hub distance.
Some application examples:
- Driving compressors or ventilators in closed containers
- Driving a submersed pump or stirrer / agitator from outside the tank
- Replacement of traditional slip clutches and driveline simplification
- Rotary indication in isolation
- Underwater torque transmission to propellers or robotic arms
- Variable slip torque applications by adjusting coupling gap distance