SYMBOL Technologies has introduced its next generation enterprise wireless switch (WS 2000), and new 802.11a/b/g wireless access port (AP 300), for branch offices and small and medium businesses.
The launch of these products provides customers with additional opportunities to untether their networks for true mobility.
Symbol first unveiled the WS 2000 wireless switch earlier this year. It is one of the first wireless switches for small businesses or branch offices of larger businesses. The latest version of the WS 2000, also designed for small businesses, is easy to set up and manage and provides enhanced security.
Additional features include:
* Extra security levels: support for site-to-site virtual private networks (VPN) and 802.11i security standard (WPA2); designed for managed services.
* High-speed: fast roaming options.
* Reliable: incorporation of load balancing; better throughput.
* Standard-based: support for 802.11 a/b/g and emerging 802.11i and worldwide 802.11h standard .
To expand the wireless connectivity options supported by the WS 2000, Symbol also introduced the AP 300, an access port that supports 802.11a/b/g.
Utilising a tri-mode access port like the AP 300 along with the Symbol WS 2000, businesses will be able to further reduce the cost of deploying, implementing and managing a wireless LAN, while increasing features, functionality and security of the wireless LAN infrastructure.
Small and medium business (SMB) customers have many different requirements for their networks, and no mobility system is the same.
Symbol's wireless portfolio, which supports tri-mode standards (802.11 a/b/g), offers customers the flexibility to continue to build and expand their enterprise wireless network.
This is important for small and medium businesses, as they need the flexibility to grow with their business.
The AP 300 provides such flexibilities as low out-of-the-box purchase price, features that provide lower total cost of ownership, and the opportunity to expand internationally with support for 802.11h, a worldwide standard.
Additional Symbol AP 300 features include:
* High-speed: enables enterprises to deploy 54 Mbps link rate with the ability to double the capacity to 108 Mbps for demanding applications such as high quality video streaming.
* Easy to manage: discovers access ports on the network and automatically downloads all configuration parameters and firmware; installation, maintenance and troubleshooting costs are reduced.
* Easy installation: provides increased flexibility for wall, ceiling and above-ceiling tile mounting option.
* Lower installation costs: eliminates the need to run power cables or install new outlets because it receives power via existing Ethernet cables, which support 802.3af standards-based Power-Over-Ethernet (PoE).
* Dependable: supports virtual access points which cause each port to behave as eight independent access points - improves wireless device performance, increases throughput and battery-life and reduces overall network traffic; provides the ability to secure and manage bandwidth on a per-WLAN basis.
Existing users of the Symbol WS 2000 can upgrade their firmware to Release 1.5 at http://www.symbol.com/services/downloads/ws2000_wireless_switch.html.