Microsoft Exchange Server mailbox now enabled for Symantec’s Enterprise Vault archiving
Symantec’s Enterprise Vault archives items from your mailbox. The archived items are stored safely in Vaults.
If you ever need an item that has been archived from your mailbox you can easily view it or restore it to your mailbox yourself. Also, you are less likely to have problems with running out of space in your mailbox.
Enterprise Vault archives all types of information stored in private folders and public folders on the Microsoft Exchange Server computer including messages, documents, spreadsheets, graphics, and voice mail.
Enterprise Vault does not automatically archive any information held in personal folders (in PST files), but your administrator can do this for you, if necessary.
The following sections tell you how to get started with Enterprise Vault.
The topics covered are:
- Viewing the ReadMe file
- Reading the Enterprise Vault help
- Finding out when Enterprise Vault archiving begins
Work through all of the sections to gain an understanding of how to get the most from Enterprise Vault and how Enterprise Vault can help you in your work.
Reading the Enterprise Vault help
Read the Enterprise Vault help to find out how to archive and restore items, and how to apply Retention Categories.
To start the Enterprise Vault help:
- In Microsoft Outlook, click Help
- Click Enterprise Vault Help Topics
The Enterprise Vault help is displayed.
Finding out when Enterprise Vault archiving begins
Depending on the options that have been selected by the Enterprise Vault administrator, archiving could have already started, or it may be that you choose when to begin archiving.
To find out when archiving begins:
- Using the right mouse button, click the mailbox. If your mailbox is not shown, you must first display the list of folders: select view, then folder
- Click Properties on the shortcut menu
- Click the Enterprise Vault tab
- Look at the setting of Suspend Enterprise Vault archiving for this mailbox
If Suspend Enterprise Vault archiving for this mailbox is not selected, archiving has already been turned on. Look at the setting of Retention Category. If this is set to None then you must assign Retention Categories to your folders, as described in the Enterprise Vault help.
If some other Retention Category is set, then you do not need to do anything further. However, you can, if you want, apply different Retention Categories to folders in your mailbox.
If Suspend Enterprise Vault archiving for this mailbox is selected, then archiving is currently turned off.
The Enterprise Vault administrator has enabled archiving for your mailbox, but has suspended it so that you can assign Retention Categories to the folders in your mailbox, and possibly change other settings, and then turn on archiving. (You assign Retention Categories to tell Enterprise Vault how long to keep archived items. Read the Enterprise Vault help to find out about Retention Categories.)
Starting the Enterprise Vault Web Access Application
The Enterprise Vault Web Access application enables you to search through those items that have already been archived.
When you first start using Enterprise Vault, there are no archived items, but you can experiment with archiving something and then using the Web Access application to search for it.
To start the Enterprise Vault Web Access application:
- Using Microsoft Outlook, select Tools, Enterprise Vault, Search Vaults. The Web Access application may start immediately or you may be prompted for your username and password
- There are two possible password prompts: If there is a prompt asking for User Name and Password, enter your username in the form Domain\Username. For example, Domain1\Rogers. If there is a prompt asking for User Name, Password, and Domain, enter the details normally.
- Click Ok.