The Guild aims to provide those with an interest in learning about, and teaching others, the skills associated with wood turning.
The Guild provides individuals learning the skills of wood turning, particularly beginners, with support and encourages them to use the equipment and materials regularly in order to enhance their confidence.
Individuals are also welcomed to approach experienced Guild members in matters relating to the purchase of expensive tools or machinery, as they will provide them with well informed advice.
The Guild's membership base consists of professional and amateur wood turners.
Meetings are held on a regular basis at local schools, homes and Guild halls, and are attended by a large number of members.
These meetings typically involve:
- A discussion of issues relevant to the hand wood turning industry
- Demonstrations of woodt urning techniques
- The resolution of problems members may be facing in relation to specific projects or wood turning equipment
- An analysis of new wood turning tools from manufacturers
- The buying and selling of hand wood turning tools
The Guild produces By Hand & Eye, a bi-monthly newsletter for its members, which contains features, equipment news and any other information of relevance to the wood turning industry.
Photo: a Creative Commons (Attribution 2.0) image from Ted Ingraham’s Flickr photo stream