The traditional method of mating PCB-mounted LEDs with display panels allows the LED to protrude through a hole in the panel. Additional interfacing methods include gluing the LED to the panel and the use of retaining clips and rings.
These methods result in a restricted LED viewing angle, LED unprotected from a possible push-through problem and permitting the transmission of ESD through the LED resulting in circuit board IC component damage.
The CLP 129 panel mounting clip, available from Switches Plus Components , is designed for mounting 5mm LEDs. Installation is accomplished by passing the mount through a panel hole and then pressing a ring onto the back. This permits the PCB-mounted LED to easily move in or out of the mount. The circuit board is now completely independent of the display panel simplifying its installation or removal for assembly or repair. The CLP 129 is constructed of U.L.94 V0 polycarbonate thermoplastic and is available in black.
Different features of this panel mounting clip include:
- Universal and can be used for mounting all standard 5mm LEDs
- Low cost installation method for panel mounting LEDs
- Styles include inner/outer reflector, standard and extended clip types
- Can accommodate panel thickness ranging from 0.032" to 0.250"
- LEDs are replaceable when mount is used with a Conxrite socket
- Various styles of clipmounts increase the engineer’s range of selection