Pallet racking inspection is an often overlooked consideration when self-assessments of the safety risks in warehouses are carried out, reports Storage Ideas .
This can be a serious oversight, as faulty or damaged pallet racking can result in serious accidents affecting property and people.
Storage Ideas notes that the Australian Standards with regard to pallet racking safety stress the importance of ensuring that installations remain both serviceable and safe.
The main hazards that require attention are:
- physical damage to racking
- misalignment of racking
- looseness of floor fittings
- suitability of forklift trucks; and
- the weight of stored goods versus capacity of racking system.
To assist business owners in ensuring compliance with occupational health and safety regulations relating to pallet racking, Storage Ideas offers a maintenance service for existing racking installations in the form of periodic visual rack safety audits.
The company's experienced operations team conducts these audits, and is equipped to carry out all pallet racking repairs, including:
- a visual inspection of pallet racks at all relevant sites
- a comprehensive report detailing the nature and location of any faults detected
- recommended action for each fault detected to ensure that both serviceability and safety of the pallet racking is maintained; and
- a quotation for costs associated with carrying out the rectifications required.
Storage Ideas notes that, as racking inspections are generally carried out from floor level with racks loaded, no responsibility or liability is accepted for the structural integrity or faults that may not be sighted due to racks being loaded or visually obstructed at the time of inspection.