It describes its vision as "enhancing Australia's innovation, productivity, economic efficiency, trade and international competitiveness and contributing to the community's demand for a safe and sustainable environment."
Specifically, Standards Australia aims to:
- work for the net benefit of the Australian community
- provide national leadership and public access to standards development
- represent Australia's interests internationally
- promote standardisation
- use good regulatory principles and behave legally and ethically
- engage with all stakeholders
- ensure balance on committees and transparency of interests
- adhere to consensus and governance processes
- accredit other standards development organisations; and
- promote continuous improvement.
In addition, Standards Australia sets a number of strategic objectives each year, and identifies key strategies for achievement of these objectives.
Further to this, the organisation outlines its current activities aligned to these objectives and the measures of success to ensure it is able to track the progress of our strategies for achievement.
Standards Australia's current key priorities are:
- national and international standards information and coordination
- accreditation of standards development organisations; and
- standards development.