Family Business Australia (FBA) has announced that the Wollongong-based Southern Engineering Services Group (SES) is the 2008 winner of the Second Generation category in the NSW & ACT Family Business of the Year Awards.
NSW FBA Chairman, Terry Rowney, says: “Southern Engineering Services Group’s commitment to providing solutions for its customer base and going that ‘extra mile’ to assist a potential customer, even if they do not ultimately get the sale, was particularly noteworthy.
“The company’s policy of re-investing in the regional areas where they have a presence was impressive and has also been a cornerstone to their continued growth nationally.”
The judges noted the following aspects of the Southern Engineering Services approach:
- The commitment of the company to internal training
- The value it placed on outside experience and education
- The support of the regional communities it serves
The FBA Awards were created to celebrate the achievements of family businesses and their contribution to the economy and culture of Australia.
Criteria for entry – The FBA Awards are open to all businesses (both public and private) that are substantially owned and operated by a family or group of families and subject to the following criteria:
- A solid record of financial performance and stability
- Respect within their fields
- A demonstrated commitment to the ideas of family business
- Demonstrated good corporate citizenship through involvement in the communities in which they operate
The NSW & ACT Family Business of the Year Awards consists of four categories:
- First Generation - founders and owners who manage the business
- Second Generation - children or family relations of the founders who manage the business
- Third Generation - children or family relations of the second generation who manage the business
- Fourth Generation - children or family relations of the third generation who manage the business