The Institute states that it is committed to creating a profession that can deliver the highest standards of OHS, achieving this through the engagement of all relevant parties, including:
- individual SIA members
- corporate and strategic partners
- governing bodies; and
- key profession stakeholders.
The SIA states that it aims to:
- promote health and safety awareness through engagement and sustainability of the profession
- develop, maintain and promote a body of knowledge that defines professional practices in OHS
- create a competent profession that can deliver the highest standards of OHS
- provide authoritative and timely advice and input into public policy and regulation
- facilitate the application of OHS principles and expertise in allied fields
- encourage and prioritise research and development to advance OHS knowledge and disseminate results to the profession and key stakeholders
- improve professional support for members through the SIA’s programs and services
- increase membership engagement and formalise partnerships to grow the SIA; and
- develop a body of knowledge to set health and safety standards, procedures and practices for the profession on a national basis.