Leading global semiconductors specialist, ST Microelectronics offers a new range of digital audio processors that in combination with MEMS microphones, create industry-unique acoustic sub-systems.
A new range of digital audio processors for multi-microphone applications, ST’s Smart Voice product family combines superior processing performance with excellent scalability and programmability to bring dramatic sound-quality improvements to mobile phones, tablets, gaming devices and video security systems.
Together with ST’s MEMS microphones and Sound Terminal class-D audio amplifiers, the new digital audio processors form a complete one-stop offering for advanced sound-input applications.
Unleashing the powerful capabilities of digital MEMS microphones in multi-microphone arrays, especially for ST’s MEMS microphones, the Smart Voice audio processors enable features including acoustic echo cancellation, noise suppression, or beam-forming, which are invaluable with the increasing use of cell phones and other consumer devices in noisy and uncontrollable environments.
The multi-microphone systems also address next-generation audio applications such as 3D sound processing, sound-source localization, virtual microphones, and audio zooming.
ST’s Smart Voice processors combine with digital MEMS microphones to create a powerful and flexible acoustic sub-system that brings crucial advantages to equipment manufacturers and users alike.
Manufacturers will benefit from a simplified system design, which reduces costs and time to market and facilitates end-product differentiation, while consumers will enjoy clearer conversations and longer battery life on their devices.
Key features of ST’s Smart Voice digital audio processors:
- Based on an optimised hard-wired acoustic processing engine that offloads intensive computing tasks from the main application processor
- Handles up to 6 digital microphone inputs with dynamic array re-configuration and dedicated channel processing
- Integrates a high-quality scalable acoustic processing core with a tunable 10-band equalizer, peak limiter, and gain and volume controls
- Data output through a digital (I²S) or analogue (PWM) interface
- Bundled with AP Workbench, a user-friendly programming tool