ST Microelectronics , a leading global supplier of set-top box (STB) ICs and Dish TV, a major Direct-To-Home (DTH) company in India have announced that Dish TV’s latest digital set-top boxes are powered by ST’s highly integrated System-on-Chip (SoC) STB decoder ICs.
Offering Standard-Definition (SD) and High-Definition (HD) STBs enables Dish TV to deliver innovative services to a wide variety of customers.
Dish TV has recently launched its HD service, Dish Tru HD delivered via ST-equipped set-top boxes, providing access to exceptionally rich video and audio for a superior customer experience.
Jawahar Goel, Managing Director, Dish TV says, “Our new digital set-top boxes benefit from STMicroelectronics’ highly featured and flexible System-on-Chip ICs to provide an ideal platform for us to deliver innovative value-added services to our customers.”
“Dish TV has an outstanding footprint in India’s DTH TV market and has been a frontrunner in bringing innovative and cutting-edge technology to its customers,” said Francois Guibert, ST’s Executive Vice-President and President for Greater China and South Asia.
“This represents an important design win for ST, demonstrating our ability to deliver customised solutions and emphasising our commitment to support strategic and fast-growing markets through resources such as our Greater Noida research and development centre, which is now our largest outside Europe.”
The new digital STBs featuring ST’s highly integrated SDTV and HDTV SoCs are now rolling out to Dish TV subscribers throughout India, supporting Dish TV’s goal to add significantly to its base of 7.5 million subscribers.
Key features of STi5189 set-top box decoder ICs
- Suitable for interactive, DVR-capable and hybrid STBs
- Supports DVB-S satellite broadcasting and industry-standard middleware and browsers
- Integrates an audio subsystem supporting Dolby Digital 5.1 and MP3 decoding
- Supports all major conditional-access security standards
- Additional interface to off-chip Flash memory, which allows a PVR-type time-shift feature without requiring a hard-disk drive
Key features of STi7111 set-top box decoder ICs
- Supports H.264, VC1, MPEG2 and numerous other video standards in Dish TV’s new HD STBs
- Designed to minimise energy consumption while maintaining system performance
- High-definition video output through the embedded HDMI 1.3 interface at up to 1080p resolution
- Embedded Ethernet port enables integration within home networks
- PCI interface also provided