ST Microelectronics introduces a new package designed to allow further miniaturisation of control modules that must meet strict safety specifications such as IEC 60370 and IEC 60335.
ST Microelectronics is the world’s leading supplier of power semiconductors for equipment such as domestic appliances, lighting and industrial controls, serving customers across the spectrum of electronics applications.
ST is initially using its new three-lead surface-mount package, SMBflat to house selected products including an AC switch, an SCR (silicon-controlled rectifier) and three types of Triac, which are widely used in circuits such as valve, motor or pump controls, lamp igniters and circuit breakers.
Key features of the minitiarised SMBflat package:
- Occupies half the PCB area of the popular SOT-223
- Allows ST’s new ACS108 1-amp AC switch to achieve high current density
- 40% skinnier than the SOT-223 model, increasing freedom for designers to miniaturise enclosures
- ‘Creepage’ distances will help meet insulation requirements of major safety standards for domestic and industrial electrical equipment
- Specific footprint can be designed on the PCB where either SOT-223 or SMBflat packages can be soldered
- Guarantees full compatibility of both packages and provides flexibility at the production stage.
- Package dimensions: 3.95mm x 4.6mm x 1.1mm
- PCB footprint solution compatible with SOT-223
- 3.4mm creepage distance
- RoHS compliant and halogen-free