World-leading semiconductors specialist and manufacturer of standard ICs, ST Microelectronics has introduced a new voltage-level translator compliant with the latest SD 3.0 standard.
Supporting the newest Secure Digital 3.0 standard, ST’s voltage-level translators combine the increased storage capacity and access speed of SD 3.0 with low static power consumption and small package size to make them ideal for interfacing application processors or digital basebands to SD memory cards in mobile phones, portable media players, tablets, digital cameras and personal navigation devices.
The SD 3.0 specification provides up to 2 terabytes of storage capacity and accelerates SD interface read/write speeds to 50 megabytes per second, at 50 MHz Double Data Rate.
One of the first in the market to support the new standard, ST’s new voltage-level translators allow system designers a head start in developing portable applications with increased storage space and faster access to multimedia content including music, videos and pictures.
Key features of the new ST6G3244 voltage-level translators:
- Selectable-supply (1.8V or 2.9V), 6-bit bi-directional CMOS-level translator for SD, mini-SD and micro-SD memory cards
- Couples high-speed operation with very low power dissipation, supported with the Power Down mode
- Data integrity is secured through balanced propagation delays and electromagnetic-interference filters and signal conditioning
- Incorporates 15kV air-gap electrostatic discharge protection on the card side
- Recommended for portable devices that connect directly to the external memory card
- Offered in a space-saving BGA25 package, reducing board area by more than 50% over current generation devices
- Backward pin-to-pin compatible with most existing SD 2.0 products, enabling easy ‘hot swap’