The latest set top box IC family from ST Microelectronics is providing a platform for innovative next-generation services targeting price-sensitive markets.
World-leading semiconductors specialist and a top player in ICs for digital TVs and set-top boxes, ST Microelectronics introduces its latest range of set-top box system-on-chip ICs for HD terrestrial, cable IP and satellite equipment providing a platform for operators and retailers to deliver innovative Internet-based services in price-sensitive markets.
The higher-performing architecture will enable more value-added services to be deployed in entry-level equipment.
Manufactured in 40nm process technology, the new set-top box system-on-chip ICs incorporate an enhanced processing engine with integrated on-chip features that simplify set-top box design, enabling operators to take advantage of lower-cost memories and meet the latest low-power objectives.
The chips will broaden market access to HD zappers, Personal Video Recorders (PVR), Internet Protocol (IP) clients and dual-HD boxes supporting connected-TV services such as Internet Protocol television (IPTV), information channels and Over-The-Top (OTT) video, gaming, catch-up TV and social networking.
Put together, these features will enable operators to win extra subscribers and grow revenues while also helping retailers to offer richer features in their set-top boxes.
According to Laurent Remont, Group Vice President and General Manager of ST’s Connected Home Division, with connected television bringing today’s best Internet and multimedia experiences into the living room, the new family of decoders aims to make these features accessible to a much larger audience.
ST’s new set-top box system-on-chip ICs are fully compatible with satellite, cable, IPTV and terrestrial derivatives in addition to delivering advantages such as high-quality Faroudja video, 3DTV support, connectivity, and advanced security schemes with all the latest CAS support such as NSK2 or NOCS3.
Key features of ST’s set-top box system-on-chip ICs:
- Supports the full range of HD broadcast and multimedia codecs as well as hybrid and IP standards
- Delivers excellent green features such as the latest generation of energy-efficient Ethernet and a 0.5W standby mode with fast-resume capability
- Code-compatible with the widely-used STi7105
- Facilitates rapid porting of existing software, permitting customers to upgrade their product platforms with minimal development costs
- STiH207 decoders are ideal for IP client, zapper and PVR applications
- STiH237 features an integrated DVB-S2 (Digital Video Broadcast-Satellite 2) demodulator and suits satellite zapper boxes
- STiH239 integrates a dual DVB-S2 demodulator for satellite PVR and dual HD picture-in-picture set-top boxes
- STiH273/ STiH223 includes DVB-T (digital-terrestrial) and DVB-C (digital-cable) annex A/B/C demodulation
- STiH207 decoder adds support for 1080p60 decoding, dual HD Picture in Picture (PIP) and 3DTV MVC (Multiview Video Codec); pin compatible with the STiH239, STiH237 or STiH273