Global semiconductors specialist, ST Microelectronics has introduced a new range of 9-axis modules that leverages ST’s state-of-the-art sensing expertise and MEMS manufacturing heritage to support advanced user features.
ST Microelectronics is a world-leading supplier of MEMS sensors for consumer and portable applications.
The newest member of the iNemo sensing family is a 9-Degree Of Freedom (DOF), fully integrated sensor module that enables advanced movement and location-sensitive apps, location-based services (LBS) and indoor navigation on portable devices in smaller form factors.
ST’s new iNemo family of inertial sensors introduces the new high-performance modules with 9-DOF inertial sensing by combining a 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis gyroscope and 3-axis magnetic sensor in a single package.
The combination of motion and position detection opens up exciting new opportunities for smartphones and tablets as well as for portable products such as personal navigation devices. Market research firm IHS iSuppli expects that four billion motion sensors will ship in mobile phones and media tablets in 2015.
The new LSM333D inertial modules match the high performance of industry-leading discrete equivalent sensors by leveraging ST’s unique packaging expertise, its portfolio of more than 600 MEMS patents and the experience of having delivered more than two billion sensors to the market.
ST‘s proficiency with MEMS technology enables the modules to be produced in high volumes, allowing smartphone designers to drive system integration in new products supporting advanced context-sensitive user features.
According to Roberto De Nuccio, Business Development Manager for ST’s Analog, MEMS and Sensors Group, the new range integrates three sensors in the 16mm³ footprint, which was the industry norm for a single sensor 12 months ago.
Key benefits of ST’s LSM333D inertial modules:
- 9-DOF system-in-package simplifies product design and saves about 30% of PC board space compared to discrete solutions
- Sensor-fusion software helps product designers enable indoor navigation, LBS, dead reckoning and advanced motion and position detection
- High performance and integration characteristics suit future generations of advanced, context-sensitive apps and services
- Built-in temperature sensor and smart power management for longer handset battery life
- Choice of I2C or SPI connection to the main system controller for added design flexibility
- Magnetic full-scale range: ±2 to ±12 gauss selectable
- Linear acceleration full-scale range: ±2 to ±16 g selectable
- Rotational acceleration full-scale range: ±250 to ±2000 dps selectable
- SPI and I2C serial interfaces
- Smart power management
- Programmable interrupt generators for freefall/ motion/ magnetic field detection
- Embedded temperature sensor
- Embedded FIFO
- 3.5 x 6 x 1mm package