DisplayPort and HDMI are two of the most common digital display interface technologies used in computer and consumer electronics. With the introduction of the Mystique family of products, ST has bridged two fast-growing digital display interfaces for seamless connectivity and enhanced multimedia experience.
The converters are based on ST’s advanced DisplayPort technology with proven track record of delivering high compatibility and reference standards with all major graphics board and test equipment manufacturers.
A highly advanced audio/video converter System-on-Chip (SoC), Mystique’s unique bi-directional conversion of HDMI 1.4 and DisplayPort 1.2 formats ensures seamless connectivity among various consumer and commercial computer and multimedia equipment including Blu-ray disc players, game consoles, docking stations, laptops, tablets, digital signs and Thunderbolt devices.
ST’s bi-directional converters also support ultra high-definition 4Kx2K displays and 7.1-channel surround sound to enable the ultimate multimedia experience. The converters enable OEMs to expand their connectivity solutions across a broad range of existing and new products by developing external dongles and docking stations supporting both HDMI and DisplayPort standards for enterprise, mobile and home use.
According to Amir Sheikholeslami, Director of DisplayPort and Monitor Business Unit, ST has led the development and deployment of the DisplayPort high-definition video interface standard and the new Mystique family continues the expansion of their DisplayPort-based product offering.
The new DisplayPort 1.2 standard enables wider bandwidth data of up to 21.6 Gbps, and multi-stream transmission through a single cable for ‘daisy chain’ and ‘tile’ display applications.
The products in the Mystique family include the STDP2600 – HDMI 1.4 to Dual-Mode DisplayPort (DP++) converter, the STDP2650 – DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 1.4 converter, and the STDP2690 – DisplayPort 1.2 to Dual-Mode DisplayPort (DP++) converter.
Key features of Mystique bi-directional converters:
- Accepts and outputs DisplayPort 1.2 High Bit Rate 2 data, at 5.4Gpbs per lane
- Only two data pairs required to drive a Full HD 120Hz TV
- Minimises cable and component cost and signal routing space in product design
- Superior radio frequency immunity in the mobile-product segment
- Dual-mode DisplayPort 1.2/ HDMI 1.4-compliant transmitter and receiver
- RGB and YUV video formats with deep colour support up to 16 bits/colour
- High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) 1.3 with on-chip keys and HDCP repeater capability
- Adaptive equalisation and pre-emphasis for long-reach cable support
- Spread-spectrum technique reduces Electro-Magnetic Interference
- Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) authentication support
- Supports 4Kx2K/3D FHD 120Hz video; conversion between frame sequential format and stacked top-bottom
- Supports audio up to 7.1CH from 32kHz to 192kHz and high bit-rate audio
- Optimised for low-power operation