Leading global semiconductor solutions specialist, ST Microelectronics adds a new range of high-performance three-axis digital output gyroscopes to their motion sensor portfolio.
ST Microelectronics’ semiconductors serve customers across the spectrum of electronics applications. The company is also a leading supplier of MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems) for consumer and portable applications.
ST’s L3GD20 digital gyroscopes are housed in a compact 4x4x1mm package, combining high sensing resolution with excellent immunity to audio noise and vibrations, making motion sensing user interfaces more realistic in mobile phones, tablets, game consoles and other smart consumer devices.
The gyroscopes feature an advanced design with a single sensing structure for motion measurement along all three orthogonal axes that further increases sensing accuracy and reliability while guaranteeing excellent output stability over time and temperature.
The L3GD20 leverages the same micromachining technology process that has been successfully applied by ST to more than 1.4 billion motion sensors already in the market.
The new gyroscope is pin-to-pin adaptable and software-compatible with the current-generation device, the L3G4200D, enabling customers to easily ‘hot swap’ and protect their investment in application development.
In addition to enabling intuitive man-machine interfaces in portable devices, ST’s digital gyroscopes are used for dead-reckoning and/or map-matching in enhanced navigation applications and for compensating digital video or still camera shaking for sharper shots.
Key features of ST’s L3GD20 digital gyroscopes:
- Resonant frequency above the audio bandwidth enables the 3-axis digital gyroscope to operate with greater accuracy and reliability
- Completely immune to mechanical vibrations coupled through the printed circuit board or audio noise from speakers mounted close to the sensor
- Advanced design increases sensing accuracy and guarantees excellent output stability over time and temperature
- Offers a wide set of user-programmable full-scale ranges from ±250 dps up to ±2000 dps
- Low full-scale values ensure high accuracy of slow-motion sensing
- High full-scale values detect and measure very fast gestures and movements
- 16-bit data output
- Configurable low- and high-pass filters
- Power-down and sleep modes and an embedded FIFO (first-in first-out) memory block for smarter power management
- Operates with any supply voltage over the range of 2.4 to 3.6V