ST Microelectronics has extended its motion sensors portfolio with one of the smallest 3-axis analogue-output gyroscopes in the market.
ST Microelectronics is a global semiconductor company serving customers across the spectrum of electronics applications in addition to being a leading supplier of MEMS for consumer and portable applications.
Having introduced more than 40 gyroscopes over the past two years, ST has boosted its market share in gyroscopes for consumer and mobile applications from less than 1% in 2009 to 30% in 2010.
The new L3G462A 3-axis analogue gyroscopes are housed inside an ultra-small 4x4x1mm³ package.
The analogue gyroscopes combine superior performance and reliability with smart power management and design flexibility, advancing adoption of high-precision gesture control and intuitive user interfaces in mobile phones, tablets, game controllers and other consumer devices.
ST’s MEMS gyroscopes employ an innovative single sensing structure for motion measurement along all three orthogonal axes.
This innovative design approach eliminates all interference between the axes, significantly increasing accuracy and reliability in a wide range of consumer and industrial applications.
Key features of ST’s L3G462A 3-axis analogue gyroscopes:
- Provides accurate angular-rate detection with a separate output for each of the three axes
- Full scale of ±625dps accurately measures gestures and movements of different types and speeds
- Facilitates diverse applications from navigation to motion-activated user interface and gaming
- Analogue interface ensures very fast response with low latency
- Offers flexibility in external filtering capabilities and fine-tuning of key parameters to individual application requirements
- Extremely compact design eliminates layout and placement issues common with existing bulkier solutions, without compromising performance or reliability
- Excellent stability over temperature (±0.04dps/ºC) and sensitivity (±0.017%/ºC) significantly improves measurement accuracy
- Low noise level (0.017dps/√Hz) guarantees high precision in movement and gesture recognition
- Operates with any supply voltage in the range of 2.4V to 3.6V
- Power-down and sleep-to-wake modes reduce power consumption