Leading global semiconductors specialist ST Microelectronics announces special fast-acting variants of its advanced superjunction power MOSFET used in energy-efficient consumer products, computing and telecom systems, lighting controllers and solar energy equipment. The latest devices step up efficiency in the type of power supplies often used in equipment such as mid-sized televisions in the 200-500W power range.
If fitted in each of the 200 million LCD TVs produced each year, the new MDmesh II Plus Low Qg (low gate charge) power transistors featuring reduced gate charge could reduce greenhouse gas emissions by over 140,000 tons per year, equivalent to taking around 30,000 passenger vehicles off the road.
Superjunction technology allows power transistors to combine small size, high voltage capacity, and outstanding energy efficiency when turned on. ST’s is a world leader in superjunction technology with its MDmesh power MOSFETs, and now delivers even better performance with its latest MDmesh II Plus Low Qg family. These devices feature a reduced internal charge for high efficiency when switching as well as when conducting, saving even more energy in resonant-type power supplies that are widely used in LCD TVs.
Key features and advantages of ST’s MDmesh II Plus Low Qg MOSFETS:
- Enhanced design results in a low gate charge (Qg) as well as low input and output capacitance
- Faster and more efficient switching encourages designers to use superjunction transistors in the resonant type of power supplies typically seen in LCD TVs
- Highly resistant to the effects of large and sudden changes in applied voltage (high dv/dt ruggedness), which can damage transistors and cause spurious switching
- Performs reliably even when exposed to large voltage transients such as noise and harmonics on AC power lines
- On-state resistance (RDS(ON)): 190mΩ
- Breakdown voltage: 600V
- Maximum continuous drain current (ID): 18A
- dv/dt ruggedness: 50V/ns
- 100% avalanche tested