Global semiconductors specialist and leading manufacturer of standard ICs, ST Microelectronics introduces a new battery monitoring ‘gas gauge’ for handheld applications.
ST’s STC3105 is a new range of battery-monitor ICs that combine a small footprint with excellent measurement accuracy and low power consumption to increase runtime and lifespan of batteries in mobile phones, multimedia players, digital cameras and various space-constrained portable gadgets.
ST’s new battery-monitor ICs deliver high-precision measurement of the battery voltage and current in a 2mm x 3mm x 0.8mm package. Using open-circuit voltage and coulomb-counter methods, the ICs estimate battery capacity as well as supervise and track charge/discharge status.
Battery lifespan in portable devices is extended thanks to the IC’s accurate predictions of the battery state of charge and time-to-empty, which help avoid unnecessary re-charging and extend operating time between charges.
Key benefits of STC3105 battery-monitor ICs:
- Low supply-current requirements, typically 60 µA, extend battery runtime and lifespan
- Power-saving mode reduces IC’s current consumption and enables low standby-power levels in the final application
- Programmable alarm output can be integrated to alert the system when the battery state of charge is below a certain level
- Embedded intelligence helps initiate appropriate power management actions when the battery is nearly empty without involving the microcontroller
- Enables system microcontroller to spend longer time in sleep mode decreasing overall power consumption