ST Microelectronics , a world leader in system-on-chip technology introduces the industry’s first embedded microprocessor that couples two ARM Cortex-A9 cores with a DDR3 memory interface.
Manufactured in ST’s low-power 55nm HCMOS (high-speed CMOS) process technology, the SPEAr1310 delivers high computing power and customisability for multiple embedded applications together with the high level of cost competitiveness offered by system-on-chip devices.
The new microprocessor combines the unrivalled low power and multi-processing capabilities of the ARM Cortex-A9 processor core with innovative Network-on-Chip (NoC) technology.
The dual ARM Cortex-A9 processors support both fully symmetric and asymmetric operations at speeds of 600MHz/core for 3000 DMIPS equivalent. NoC is a flexible communications architecture that enables multiple different traffic profiles while maximising data throughput in the most performance- and power-efficient way.
Equipped with an integrated DDR2/DDR3 memory controller and a full set of connectivity peripherals including USB, SATA and PCIe (with integrated PHY) in addition to a Giga Ethernet MAC, ST’s SPEAr1310 microprocessor targets high-performance embedded-control applications across communication, computer peripherals and industrial automation segments.
Cache memory coherency with hardware accelerators and I/O blocks increases throughput and simplifies software development. The Accelerator Coherency Port (ACP) coupled with the device’s NoC routing capabilities addresses the latest application requirements for hardware acceleration and I/O performance.
ECC (Error Correction Coding) protection against soft and hard errors on both DRAM and L2 Cache memories dramatically improves the Mean-Time-Between-Failures for enhanced reliability.
Key features of the SPEAr1310:
- 2x Giga/Fast Ethernet ports (for external GMII/RGMII/MII PHY)
- 3x Fast Ethernet (for external SMII/RMII PHY)
- 3x PCIe/SATA Gen2 links (with embedded PHY)
- 1x 32-bit PCI expansion bus (up to 66 MHz)
- 2x USB 2.0 host ports with integrated PHYs
- 1x USB 2.0 OTG port with integrated PHY
- 2x CAN 2.0 a/b interfaces
- 2x TDM/E1 HDLC controllers with 256/32 time slots per frame respectively
- 2x HDLC controllers for external RS485 PHYs
- I2S, UARTs, SPI, I2C ports
- HD Display controller with Touchscreen and Overlay windows capabilities
- Memory Card I/F
- Security HW Accelerator
- Secure Boot and Key Storage capabilities
- Power-saving features