Siemens PLM Software has recently released the Solid Edge software ST3 that delivers new functionality for accelerated product design, streamlined revisions and easy 3rd party CAD data management.
Siemens PLM Software is a business unit of the Siemens Industry Automation Division and a leading global provider of product lifecycle management software (PLM) and services.
The new functionality in Solid Edge ST3 software is enabled by synchronous technology and the application also includes various enhancements related to simulation, design data management as well as 1000+ customer-driven improvements.
Dr. Ken Versprille, PLM Research Director, CPDA says that synchronous technology in the latest release of Solid Edge ST3 has the capacity to perform a wide variety of design tasks in a fraction of time, allowing engineers more time for creativity and innovation, resulting in better product designs produced faster.
Karsten Newbury, senior vice president and general manager of the Velocity Series and Solid Edge business, Siemens PLM Software says that the benefits of synchronous technology are already being realised by customers through productivity improvement and significant time savings, allowing users to shift their focus to the actual design task.
Fulfilling the vision of synchronous technology
Siemens PLM Software has extended the availability of synchronous technology by making it pervasive throughout the product. Key features include:
- Synchronous-based models can be used directly with all assembly applications such as piping, frames, wiring and assembly features
- First-ever synchronous-based part-to-part associativity that lets users establish and alter design intent before, during or after the assembly design process
- Capability to work with both synchronous and non-synchronous features in the same integrated design environment
- Users can leverage synchronous features for accelerated design and flexible edits while adding ordered features for designing process-type parts such as cast or machined parts
- Ordered features in existing models can be selectively moved to the synchronous environment providing designers with maximum flexibility and ease of use
- Capability to merge 2D drawings with existing 3D models further expands opportunities for productivity
Building on its integrated simulation application, Solid Edge ST3 includes new torque and bearing loads, user-defined constraints and new ways to connect assemblies such as bolt and sheet metal edge connectors.
Faster results can be achieved with model simplification tools and better visualisation capabilities that allow the user to see inside the model.
Solid Edge allows design validation of parts and assemblies earlier in the product development process for quicker time to market and reduced physical prototyping costs.
Scalable data management
Solid Edge ST3 with Insight data management solution now takes advantage of Microsoft SharePoint 2010 to further expand its scalable data management strategy.
Leveraging the latest SharePoint platform extends collaboration to a wider range of CAD and non-CAD users by expanding project management, business analytics and social media capabilities.
In addition, a standalone bill-of-materials (BOM) editor delivered with the embedded client in Solid Edge lets CAD and non-CAD users create product structures that can be opened in Solid Edge, Teamcenter software or Teamcenter Express software.
Delivering thousands of customer-driven improvements, Solid Edge ST3 provides even stronger business value throughout the product development process. These improvements include:
- New functionality added in several areas including sheet metal, piping and frame design, assembly management as well as drafting
- Advances in sheet metal include new closed corner types, etching of part numbers and other geometry, and manufacturing-only features
- Ability to embed all manufacturing dimensions and annotations including item numbers in the assembly and even carry part colours through as line styles in the drawing
- New multi-cultural drawings allow mixing of character sets from multiple languages on a single drawing or even in a single annotation
- Streamlined user interface includes a fully customisable radial menu, drastically reducing mouse travel
- Transparent feature and part management dialogues as well as reduced-size command interaction dialogues provide maximum graphics workspace area