Siemens PLM Software has announced new enhancements to its NX software, the company’s fully integrated computer-aided design, manufacturing and engineering analysis (CAD/CAM/CAE) solution.
Siemens PLM Software is a business unit of the Siemens Industry Automation Division and a leading global provider of product lifecycle management (PLM) software and services.
The latest release of NX software, NX 8 includes extensive enhancements to its CAE capabilities including its widely used NX Nastran software for solving some of the world’s most challenging simulation problems.
The new enhanced version of NX software further establishes NX CAE as one of the world’s leading simulation solutions for product development, while unveiling new capabilities throughout the NX design and manufacturing modules that build on Siemens PLM Software’s high-definition PLM (HD-PLM) vision and expand its digital manufacturing offerings for the machinery industry.
According to Jim Rusk, vice president, Product Engineering Software, Siemens PLM Software, NX 8 is a significant evolution of one of the world’s premier integrated digital product development systems.
He explains that the CAE solution has been further expanded to better enable users to identify and eliminate issues in the virtual world before they become problems in the real world.
The software’s ability to optimise product performance, combined with the extensive enhancements in NX design and manufacturing, will help their customers further reduce costs, shorten development time and facilitate smarter decisions that result in better products.
World-class simulation productivity
Simulation software is being increasingly leveraged by companies across every industry to verify product function, manufacturability and maintainability as well as enhance quality and aesthetic appeal.
Siemens PLM Software specialises in providing solutions that help companies handle some of the world’s most difficult modelling and analysis challenges.
NX CAE offers companies significant versatility in deployment as it can operate as a standalone simulation solution or as a fully integrated component of the NX product development suite.
Additionally, Siemens PLM Software’s open business model allows NX CAE to work with virtually all leading FEA solvers as well as NX Nastran. NX CAE users can also import geometry from a variety of sources and easily modify it for rapid what-if analyses using synchronous technology from Siemens PLM Software.
NX 8 for simulation offers new solutions for optimisation and multi-physics analysis, along with new methods for analysing complex assemblies.
Key benefits of the enhanced NX CAE software include:
- Simulation environment and geometry foundation improvements accelerate analysis modelling
- Multi-discipline simulation and optimisation enhancements include new topology optimisation and multi-physics analysis solutions
- Systems-level simulation improvements streamline finite element assembly management and expand high performance computing capacity for computational fluid dynamics (CFD) analysis
- HD3D capabilities include enhancements such as new simulation ‘results measures’ that allow users to tie results directly to requirements, supporting smarter decisions
- NX CAE functionalities help reduce time spent preparing and solving analysis models by up to 70%
NX CAE‘s built-in use of synchronous technology helps CAE specialists easily accept models from multiple CAD sources and quickly idealise, modify and create the geometry needed for their analyses. This enables CAE to drive design rather than simply respond to design models created by CAD specialists.
Enhancements to the NX 8 manufacturing capabilities:
- New or extended functionality focused on machinery and tooling design
- Optimised NC programming for machinery and heavy equipment part production
- Improvements combine tooling design automation with CAE-based validation tools
- Helps machinery and tooling companies deliver designs that are right the first time
- Delivers a fast and highly accurate machining solution
- Extends existing CAD/CAM, programming automation, and integrated machine tool simulation capabilities
- New automated, context-specific functions simplify the generation of smart tool paths for prismatic parts
- New volume-based 2.5D milling operations for faster programming
- Automatic tracking of uncut material across multi-stage machining processes
- Programming automation for multi-part setups
- Powerful and efficient modelling, drafting and validation solutions
- New part modules technology simplifies modelling and editing of complex designs
- Expanded HD3D and design validation tools provide enhanced interaction, more powerful reporting and enriched visual presentation of PLM information from more sources
- Standard HD3D features provide a visually rich and more flexible feedback environment to help users quickly locate, diagnose and fix problems
- Synchronous technology enhancements make it simpler and easier to modify models and handle a wider range of geometric modelling problems
- New capabilities added for feature-based modelling, sheet metal, patterning, freeform design, routed systems, visualisation and more
- Enhanced feature modelling offers more flexibility and control in creating patterns