World-leading car manufacturer BMW has standardised the use of the S3000 safety laser scanners from SICK at all worldwide locations.
The S3000 safety laser scanners from SICK with integrated PROFINET IO interface are the preferred choice for protecting hazardous areas of robot work cells and assembly lines in car body construction.
All robot and drive systems at BMW’s facilities in Regensburg and Munich are equipped with PROFINET with about 9,000 PROFINET devices integrated into the network in each plant.
BMW has derived great benefits from integrating SICK’s S3000 safety laser scanners with PROFINET IO into the production network. A large number of laser scanners are used in body construction at the Regensburg facility as point-of-operation guarding in welding robot cells.
Key benefits from S3000 PROFINET IO safety laser scanners:
- Allows complete and continuous integration of the field devices
- Eliminates need for switching modules and sub-distributors with the availability of two integrated RJ45 ports with switching functionality
- Significantly reduces cabling effort with the entire data transmission taking place via one medium within the same physical network
- Supports BMW’s central plant operation concept by enabling configuration from a central operating computer for faster commissioning
- Facilitates remote diagnosis and maintenance by allowing direct communication with the sensor in the field
- Remote diagnosis maximises availability and productivity of the plants
- Allows sensor integration into arrangements for preventive maintenance
- Field sensors are protected against unauthorised modifications through an efficient tracing feature
- Significant cost savings over classic safety laser scanner installations