Bar code scanners from SICK have been installed by a manufacturer of conveyor systems from Taiwan at a solar wafer production plant to enable simultaneous identification and checking of completed wafer boxes.
The solution has been provided for a packaging and transporting process wherein 100 wafers are packaged at a time into a box labelled on top with a Code128 bar code. This is followed by packaging ten completed boxes into a carton bearing a Code39 bar code.
The conveyor system manufacturer was tasked with identifying the boxes, recognising shortages, and detecting the markings of the carton.
CLV650 bar code scanners from SICK were installed above the level of the conveyor system to identify the boxes.
The special sorting function of the bar code scanners allows reliable detection of missing codes as well as missing boxes while the bar codes on all boxes present are read at the same time. Simultaneously, the carton with the boxes is identified by another bar code scanner from SICK installed at the side of the conveyor system.
The solution allows the solar producer to identify specific boxes in specific cartons as well as detect incomplete cartons.
Key features of the CLV650 bar code scanners:
- Reading field of 200mm to 1600mm with real-time auto focus and integrated distance measurement
- Top reading reliability even with high plant throughput and diverse object sizes
- Ethernet on board and integrated web server functionality for scanner diagnosis
- Proven two-stage fieldbus integration concept with separate connection box
- Parameter cloning option ensures minimum times for replacing devices, via cloning module or micro SD card
- SMART decoding algorithms