Sick specialises in a wide range of sensor solutions for diverse industrial applications.
INOX sensors from Sick are being used for the reliable detection of moistened wafers in automatic wafer separation systems.
ACI-ecotec GmbH & Co. KG in Zimmern ob Rottweil, Germany is the global market leader in a number of product sectors within the business field of photovoltaics. One such sector is the ecoSplit wafer separation systems range for sawn, pre-cleaned solar wafers.
For the ecoSplit-IXL system featuring a capacity of up to 4,300 wafers per hour, the company sought a reliable solution for detecting the wafers.
The nature of the process demanded a robust solution for two reasons:
- The sensors coming into contact with a slurry in the preliminary process (demineralised water with acidic and particulate constituents)
- The moistening of the wafers during separation
Despite high enclosure rating specifications, the sensors supplied by other manufacturers encountered a number of problems. Water in the plug and inside the housing caused regular system failure, leading to downtimes as well as high maintenance and servicing expenses.
While looking for a solution, the attention of the ACI-ecotec staff was drawn to the INOX sensors from Sick.
INOX photoelectric proximity switches from Sick
WTB4S-3 INOX photoelectric proximity switches from Sick were selected for these reasons:
- The sensor's housing technology is designed for maximum possible tightness and material resistance, far exceeding the requirements for IP69K
- INOX photoelectric proximity switch was the only device that disallowed penetration of water into the plug or housing
- No external signs to indicate that the sensors were susceptible to material damage or corrosion
- Detection capabilities of the INOX photoelectric proximity switch showed it to be the best sensor in its class in nearly all areas
- The sensor fulfils all the requirements for maintenance-free use with high availability in the automatic wafer separation systems of ACI-ecotec
Key benefits of Sick’s sensors:
- High tightness and material resistance prevents plant downtime and improves separation volume
- Sensor concept makes commissioning simpler and guarantees high detection reliability
- Compact design saves mounting space
- Less downtime means improved availability and capacity for the automatic separation systems
- Special optics makes it easier to align and commission the sensors
- Best-in-class detection performance for the separation process
- Broad range of electronic and solar products solves a variety of tasks from a single source
- Global support guarantees quick response times for ACI-ecotec customers