SICK installed a specific type of network-capable bar code scanners for a conveyor system to meet the customer’s requirements for versatile installation options, high scanning reliability and extensive diagnostics options.
Gustav Klauke GmbH in Remscheid, Germany is an international provider of electric, sanitary and heating products. The company produces over 12,000 individual components, all of which are stored at their distribution centre.
Maximum availability in the material flow is required in order to ensure that around 2,500 items in around 800 packages and up to 1,500 small load carriers can be commissioned for order per day.
To meet the availability requirement, the customer wanted their conveyor system to be fitted with bar code readers that provided versatile installation options, high scanning reliability and extensive diagnostics options.
The bar code scanners would inform Klauke of the operational status of the system at any time to enable proactive measures to be taken if required.
Network-capable SICK bar code scanners offer maximum availability and proactive diagnostics functions
SICK recommended their network-capable, individually configurable bar code scanners. The versatility of the CLV640 bar code scanner type makes it possible to equip the conveyor system with around two dozen scanning points throughout the material flow with the same device type.
This allows optimum scanner configuration at each I-point, thus ensuring maximum scanning reliability. Identical setups were copied to save time.
In operation, the scanners display several proactive diagnostics options. The current reading quality is shown directly at the I-point, while a web-based diagnostic tool from SICK enables additional checking of scanned information and performance characteristics for all scanners.
Key advantages of SICK’s bar code scanners:
- Single scanner type eliminates the need for different device types and allows fast integration, commissioning as well as simple maintenance
- High scanning reliability and extensive diagnostics options guarantee optimum system availability
- Diagnostics status makes it possible to check the operational status of the system
- Scanner networking allows transparent tracking and tracing to detect potential overloads before they occur
- Eliminates system downtime and troubleshooting time
- Cost-efficient solution thanks to economically efficient maintenance and stocking of spare parts for a single device