Renishaw RESOLUTE absolute encoders now available with FANUC serial communications
RESOLUTE absolute encoders from Renishaw are now available with FANUC serial communications in linear encoder formats, offering sub-micron accuracy and resolutions to 1nm.
The RESOLUTE range is now suitable for precision machine tool builders who require more performance from linear axes, giving smoother velocity ripple, improved servo stiffness and reduced hysteresis errors.
As true absolute encoders, the RESOLUTE range determines absolute position immediately at switch-on, eliminating the need for battery back-up or reference returns.
RESOLUTE absolute linear encoders with FANUC serial communications find application in high-precision machine tools, grinding machines and diamond-turning machines. The range of absolute encoders is also available in angle encoder format and with a variety of protocols to interface with a wide range of industry-standard servo drives and controllers.
Key features of RESOLUTE absolute encoders:
- Uses an innovative detection method analogous to an ultra-high-speed digital camera reading from a non-repeating, fine-pitch bar code scale
- Images are captured, analysed and interpolated to resolutions as fine as 1 nm even at speeds up to 100 m/s
- Excellent immunity to contamination, owing to sophisticated cross-checking and dirt-rejection capability
- Achieves wide set-up and running tolerances
- Unique built-in separate checking algorithm assures safety by constantly monitoring position and flagging problems before they reach the controller
- Combines a high-performance readhead and superior scale technology to provide higher-fidelity encoder feedback
- Improved dynamic response thanks to Sub-Divisional Error (SDE) being controlled to within ±40 nm, jitter (noise) less than 10 nm RMS, and non-contact format
- Non-contact format eliminates mechanical uncertainty of fragile wheeled-carriages found inside traditional enclosed linear encoders for machine tools
- Overall accuracy to better than ±1 µm offered as standard on RELA Invar scales
- RSLA stainless steel scales offer very high accuracy at long lengths up to 5 metres
- RTLA and RTLA-S rugged steel tape scales allow ±5 µm/m accuracy, lengths up to 10 metres, and quicker and easier installation