Associated Tools has benefited from an elimination of component rejections as well as a 66% reduction in tooling set up times since adopting the machine tool probes from Renishaw.
Mr H.J. Bishnu, now Director of Associated Tools had the very latest in manufacturing technology installed in the company’s workshop including LMW, BFW and Hurco CNC machine tools, all equipped with a variety of Renishaw touch trigger probes and tool setters.
Mr Bishnu recalls that the workshop was earlier facing problems with slow machining cycle times, setup idle times, inconsistencies in quality and operator errors in spite of the investment in CNC machines. Various manual processes resulted in inefficiencies and operator errors leading to 5% inconsistency in quality and a 1.5% rejection rate.
Mr Bishnu, a BTech graduate from the Haldia Institute of Technology realised that investment in CNC machine technology alone was not enough. He had earlier seen the benefits of Renishaw’s touch trigger probes and tool setting probes at the SECO, Pune and decided to implement them on his company’s machining process.
Associated Tools began to see dramatic results once Renishaw’s OMP60 touch trigger probe and OTS contact tool setting probe were introduced into the process.
Key results for Associated Tools from Renishaw’s machine tool probes:
- Introduction of a CNC 4th axis and OMP60 makes indexing automatic, reducing component setting time to 20 minutes and rate of scrap to almost 0%
- Cable-free OTS optical tool setting and broken tool detection probe reduces tool setting time and increases accuracy
- Optimises tool life
- Excellent efficiency in manufacture of precision components
- Reduction of 66% in set up time
- Component rejections and manual errors completely eliminated
Renishaw Oceania represents the Renishaw Group in Australia and New Zealand.