Virtues of the members the Whangarei Steam & Model Railway Club are patience and hardwork, which has recently been proven again when the overhaul of Seymour was completed.
The club incorporated in 1978 to acquire, preserve and operate vintage steam and diesel trains in the Northland area has a rollingstock of 9 including 2 steam locomotives.
The pride of the fleet is Seymour, a 1955 Thomas Peckett & Sons Ltd. 0-4-2T shunter, gifted to the club by Wilson’s (NZ) Portland Cement (now Golden Bay Cement) in 1977. This locomotive is believed to be the last new steam locomotive imported into New Zealand.
In the winter of 2002, the annual boiler survey revealed erosion in Seymour’s upper firebox and caustic embrittlement in the boiler shell.
The boiler was declared to be beyond economic repair and the search for a new boiler began. In 2005 Easteel Industries (now RCR Energy Systems, a segment of RCR Tomlinson ) was selected to design and fabricate a new welded boiler to replace the original riveted design.
The official first run of the totally overhauled Seymour took place on 29 August 2007. The RCR engineers, Brian, Brent and Gareth involved in the boiler design and fabrication attended this great day which had plenty of interest from the locals.