Micronor’s absolute fibre optic position sensors (FOPS) available from Quality in Control feature an innovative all-optical design immune to electro-magnetic interference from lightning, radiation, magnetic fields and various harsh environmental conditions.
The fibre optic aspect of Model MR330 series position sensors also makes them suitable for long-distance position sensing over hundreds of metres without being affected by ground loop problems. The FOPS system is based on Micronor’s years of research, innovation and patents in fibre optic sensing technology.
The new absolute fibre optic position sensors employ a novel optical technique embedded in a passive sensor and active controller connected by a duplex fibre optic link. The controller transmits a burst of light to the code disk in the sensor, which accurately modulates the spectral components of the light based on angular position.
The position information is imprinted in the optical spectrum of the light and guided back to the controller for precise position readout. The sensor requires no electrical power and houses no electronic components.
Applications of Model MR330 series position sensors:
- Ideal sensor for applications that require precise motion control and position measurement in challenging environments
- Suitable for oil rigs, satellite antennas, solar panel arrays, actuator systems, transportation systems, steel mills and medical instrumentation
- Meets ATEX requirements for use in mines and other hazardous environments
- Immunity to lightning makes it especially suitable for outdoor applications such as wind turbines and antennas
Key features of Model MR330 series fibre optic position sensors:
- Measures absolute angular position from 0º to 360º with 13-bit resolution at speeds exceeding 2500 rpm
- Consists of the MR332 passive sensor and MR330 controller interconnecting via a duplex fibre optic link
- Fibre cable is a readily available industry standard 62.5/125µm multimode fibre with duplex LC connections
- MR330 controller is powered by 24 VDC and features multiple built-in interfaces and protocols for position read-out
- Powerful embedded processor and firmware in the MR330 controller offer an extended set of built-in functions and multiple interface options
- Model MR330-1 SSI controller offers SSI, USB, RS485 Serial, Modbus RTU, two analogue outputs and two digital set points
The MR330 series absolute fibre optic position sensors complement Micronor's existing MR310 series incremental fibre optic encoder systems. Micronor’s newly expanded range of fibre optic rotary sensors is ideal for applications where conventional encoder or resolver performance falls short.