The technology of Fibre optic’s measures the signal produced by the scattering of light along an optical fibre. Pyrosales supplies The Hitele Fibre Optic Systems. This system can help to maintain process control and ensure safety.
The applications of fibre optic technology are numerous and extensive. These applications include:
- Fire detection- Optical fibre temperature measurement systems are very reliable and effective in the use of fire detection in arduous or hazardous conditions e.g. road and rail tunnels or coal mining applications. The sensor cable is unaffected by pollutants or electromagnetic interference and is inherently safe.
- Hot spot monitoring- In relation to process control and safety, the detection of hot spots on furnace walls or insulated bodies will provide essential information in regard to the maintenance of these areas and machines. The fibre optic system can cover the whole of the hot (or cold) body and the information used to predict deterioration of insulation at the most vulnerable locations.
- Leak detection- Fibre optic systems can monitor continuously for any changes in temperature, which can be then used to activate an alarm.
- Construction- Optical fibre sensing can be used to monitor the curing temperature of concrete and can later provide a continuous monitor for leak detection. Designers and materials scientists involved with large concrete bodies such as dams can derive benefit from knowing the temperature of their structures.
- Geothermal wells and down hole applications- The ability to monitor water flow and temperature gradients within geothermal wells gives important information for lifetime prediction and operation control. The difficulty of placing sensors into deep holes with narrow bores is overcome because of the single end connection required by the Hitele fibre optic units. As well as the specifics of georthermal wells there are many other down hole applications, including fossil fuel exploration and effluent treatment.
- Power cables- Fibre optic systems can monitor temperature and loading on buried or hidden cables providing invaluable performance dat
- Process Monitoring- Temperature distribution information in chemical and pharmaceutical processing can be used to give incremental improvements. Additionally, the use of low power laser light is intrinsically safe, which lends itself to hazardous area use.