Professional Advantage deployed a complete enterprise-wide scalable financial management solution for a major construction company to support their increasing growth.
The Abergeldie group of companies provides complex civil infrastructure and building contracts throughout eastern Australia.
Responsible for the execution of 30-50 projects at any given time, Abergeldie's systems were contributing to an increasing administrative overhead that would only lead to lower efficiency as the company grew.
The company decided to deploy a new enterprise-wide system capable of supporting Abergeldie's anticipated growth with key goals including introduction of, and adherence to standardised processes, which would lead to achieving operational and process efficiencies.
According to James Davies, Operations Manager for Abergeldie, they approached a few companies with the specification written up by the finance department.
While some suggested specific construction industry packages, others recommended finance and ERP (enterprise resource planning) packages.
Having realised the limitations of such software applications, Abergeldie selected a solution designed by Professional Advantage involving Microsoft Dynamics GP, Microsoft Office SharePoint Server and WennSoft job costing, project management and equipment management software.
Professional Advantage began work in mid-2009 on the 6-month project with deployment divided into two concurrent streams: Microsoft Dynamics GP and WennSoft solutions were handled by one team while SharePoint was handled by another.
Key benefits derived by Abergeldie:
- Scalable technology platform
- Multi-faceted implementation beyond the scope of financial management
- Improvement in operational processes and technology
- Better records and more access to information on site
- System ensures employees adhere to purchase order workflow
- Orders get automatically matched to invoices, reducing the opportunity for overpayment
- Report Manager function provides instant information on order/ invoice status
- Enhanced communication and greater organisational agility
- Project managers can view up-to-date information on every aspect of their project including work-to-date and actual costs using SharePoint
- In-built workflows function as a check, allowing over budget jobs only on authorisation by the appropriate manager
- Automated revenue recognition functionality in WennSoft Job Cost software reduces volatility in managing and forecasting revenue, costs and profit
- WennSoft Job Cost also enhances visibility for losses, overspending and profits
Matthew Boyle, Abergeldie Plant Manager explains that they moved from an archaic system to standard ways of recording information, supporting the company’s continuous growth.