Perspex sheets (Acrylic) are a commonly used plastic product on the market today.
Perspex sheets were developed during World War 1 for use in war planes and their uses have grown steadily since and are now a part of everyday life worldwide.
For example, clear Perspex sheets are used in the fabrication of display cabinets, barcode scanning machines at the supermarket, bank counters, signs, raffle barrels, etc. One of the reasons for the high use of Perspex is its favourable comparison to glass.
Perspex sheets weigh less than half that of glass sheets of the same dimensions and can also withstand an impact 15 times greater than that of glass, thus making it a good alternative.
Also, as it is made from synthetic materials by using Perspex, destruction of natural resources can be reduced and help maintain the earth’s ecological balance.
Another reason for the high use of Perspex is its versatility and ease of use. Perspex is a non-conductor of heat and electric current, and is resistant to most chemicals, oils, and alkalines. Perspex is a plastic product that can be sawn, drilled, engraved, bent (with heat of between 160 and 180 degrees Centigrade), bonded, filled, glued (with an acrylic adhesive – available from Pacific West Corporation ), grinded, welded, and screen painted on.
As Perspex sheets are available in 58 colours and many thicknesses, its uses are unlimited. Perspex sheet is also available in a prismatic profile (this plastic product is used for skylights and neon light covers), non-glare and also silver and gold.
Sizes and availability of Perspex:
Perspex Sheet Clear
- Thicknesses: 1.5 - 25mm. Sizes: 2440 x 1220mm and up to 3m x 2m
Perspex Sheet Colours
- Thicknesses: 3 - 12mm. Sizes: 2440 x 1220mm and up to 3m x 2m
Prismatic Perspex Sheet
- Thicknesses: 3 and 4mm. Sizes: 2440 x 1220mm
Mirror Perspex Sheet
- Thicknesses: 2 and 3mm. Sizes: 2440 x 1220mm
Non-glare Perspex Sheet
- Thicknesses: 3 and 4mm. Sizes: 2440 x 1220mm. Ideal for use in the framing of certificates for example
- Diameter: 3mm ID - 152mm OD. Lengths: 1830mm (6 foot)
- Diameter: 3 - 38mm. Lengths: 1830mm (6 foot)